Attorney Profile and Biography
A Triple Board Certified Trial Lawyer who has Assisted in Recovering Hundreds of Millions of Dollars for Injury Victims and their Families
Don't put your case in the hands of just any lawyer. Turn to an national award-winning lawyer who has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of injury victims and their families. When you work with our team, we do everything within our power to help you recover full and fair compensation.
Born and raised in Houston, Texas, S. Scott West is a proud Christian, husband and father of four. Scott attended the University of Texas at Austin and graduated in 1985 with a Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Following graduation, he worked as a design engineer in the petrochemical and transportation industries.
Scott started law school in 1987 at the South Texas College of Law, completing his Doctorate of Jurisprudence in 1989. While in law school, he made Dean's List every year while still working full time. He was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1990 and began pursuing his passion, working for a prominent personal injury law firm in Houston. As a direct result of his success in litigating complex cases and securing substantial compensation for his clients, Scott was soon named a principal partner at the firm.
In 1997, Scott opened The West Law Firm and continued in his relentless pursuit of justice for the injured and wronged. He and the rest of the team at The West Law Firm fight tirelessly to help those who have been harmed due to another's negligence or wrongdoing.
West's determination knows no bounds when it comes to product liability litigation, which addresses defective and dangerous products that have caused consumer injury. The West Law Firm has been a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee leading the only two personal injury product liability multidistrict litigation cases filed in Texas. Multidistrict litigation, or MDL, refers to a special legal procedure used to speed the process of handling such complex cases as product liability lawsuits or air disaster litigation. Scott West was on the leadership panel for both Texas MDL cases, which were filed against Toyota (for vehicle defects related to unintended acceleration) and General Motors (for defective ignition switches).
With his background in mechanical engineering, Scott West is in a unique position to offer experienced insight when it comes to defective products. He has led The West Law Firm to win legal battles against manufacturers of defective products, and has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of clients across Texas and the United States.
- University of Texas, Austin (B.S.M.E., 1985)
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 1989)
- Fraternities: Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honors); Phi Delta Phi (Legal)
- AV Preeminent ®-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum®
- Houston's Top Lawyers - H Texas Magazine (2004)
- Texas Super Lawyers® (2003 edition)
- South Texas College of Law Dean's List (1987, 1988 and 1989)
- Finalist, Joe C. Reynolds Negotiation & Arbitration Competition (1988)
- First Place, South Texas College of Law Negotiation Competition (1989)
- President's Merit Award (1989)
- American Jurisprudence Award, Civil Trial Practice (1989)
Areas of Practice
- Personal injury and wrongful death involving:
- Defective and unsafe products
- Motor vehicle collisions
- Construction site accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Dangerous premises
- Commercial disputes involving:
- Theft or misappropriation of intellectual property
- Theft or misappropriation of trade secrets
- Breach of contract
- Other complex commercial litigation